Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Easter Eggs? :>

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Easter Eggs? :>
Pages: [1] [2]

"Easter Eggs? :>", 4 days ago, 3:37 AM #1
Kokoneos

Registration date: 27th Jun 2015
I'm the kind of ass-fidget who plugs easter eggs and inside jokes in my work. Featuring my work or work of others I want to reference.

For example in Sirius' Magical Orb, Andross' True Form is kept in a jar- shelved by Sirius himself.

Any Easter Eggs we should look out for in your comic?
4 days ago, 3:41 AM #2
Firefly Jelly

Registration date: 9 days ago
Kokoneos:Any Easter Eggs we should look out for in your comic?

The name of Shelby's stepdad's workplace is a prog rock joke that I'm sure everyone into prog rock will instantly get.

The school building is inspired by a real Detroit building.

There will be many, many, many others. I love Easter eggs.
4 days ago, 3:42 AM #3
fedoramoron
black market meme hookup
Registration date: 27th Mar 2015
after the positive reaction to this background dude from literally everyone who gave feedback on my first chapter, he is now vibing somewhere in every chapter
4 days ago, 3:47 AM #4
jellyfishin

Registration date: 20th Nov 2019
Mine's more like a "Where's Waldo?" game - I've randomly sneaked in a tiny drawing of my jellyfish avatar in some pages.
4 days ago, 3:51 AM #5
fedoramoron
black market meme hookup
Registration date: 27th Mar 2015
they found each other!
4 days ago, 4:11 AM #6
The Doodler

Registration date: 9th Sep 2010
Yana’s whistling part of the Orthodox Holy Saturday/Easter liturgy in one scene where she thinks things are looking up.

Easter Easter eggs?
4 days ago, 4:26 AM #7
mr.Trouble
started a new life without the kids
Registration date: 3rd Mar 2016

This is a real place

Recreating something like this in Pixton is really hard...
4 days ago, 4:59 AM #8
MisterParadigm

Registration date: 30th May 2012
Oh my God, so many. There are just so many. The season title and every episode of Mallory Bash's "Dreaming Tree Saga" is an Easter egg. The grave that Cyrus is digging when Mallory meets him is an egg. The song he's singing, too. Hell, the character of Cyrus is an egg. The street names of Moonblush Village--quite a few are eggs. The fact that Cyrus calls Mallory "voshaarnooi" and serves her rooibos tea are eggs. The fact that Cyrus is a gravedigger is an egg. The scene where Mal and Isaac are flying over Moonblush with Opal--those people on the streets are eggs, as well as the posters on the bulletin behind them. In the first season, Saki references song lyrics as an egg. "Dora Park" next to The Pretzel Bender and Das Burger is an egg. The Professor and Geoffrey are cameos by an actual musical artist and his in-universe companion.

Literally every chance I get, I'm dropping in an Easter egg.

4 days ago, 7:04 AM #9
Vincethestick
sensitive
Registration date: 7th Jan 2014
There are a handful of eggs in Threshold currently:

Within the first few pages, Vance's room number changes to various references.

There's a Batman poster in Vance's living room, as well as comics like "Grump Man", "Hell Man", and the one he reads in the beginning is called "Ass Kick".

Kick Ass is referenced again when Vance is talking with his friend Jesse who pulls up an article about someone trying to be a superhero.

Lucien's abilities are an obvious reference to the Monkey's Paw short story.

I'm certain that at least one of my characters has eggs in their fridge.

Alice mentions the Xavier Institute when Vance tries to tell his friends he has superpowers. At the end of the scene Jesse mentions Mickey Goldmill (from Rocky) and Edna Mode (from the Incredibles).

When Vance is running around the city at night, there's a missing cat poster that reads "Lost Cat - Guppy - Call Isaac" which is a reference to the Binding of Isaac, and the cat on the poster is the same icon for the Dead Cat item. Underneath Isaac's name is a sequence of numbers and letters which is (or was, I can't find it online anymore and I'm too lazy to boot up Isaac to check) a Guppy-related seed for Rebirth.

Vance's last name, Hibbert, is also the last name of the actor who played the Gimp in Pulp Fiction, Stephen Hibbert. Ruth's last name isn't stated in the comic itself yet, but her last name is Warren, same as the famous paranormal investigator couple Ed and Lorraine Warren.
4 days ago, 7:44 AM #10
authorloremipsum

Registration date: 11th Sep 2018
I love putting my unrelated ocs and my friend's ocs into the backgrounds, as well as poster they make and fun things like that.
It's also a lot of fun to use old artwork as art-art in the backgrounds, and doodles as things like TV shows, online posts, fun stuff.
Also I used my own grocery-store uniform as a reference for my character on This Page, haha
4 days ago, 7:54 AM #11
Danny McLimmon

Registration date: 3rd Jan 2016
MisterParadigm:Oh my God, so many. There are just so many. The season title and every episode of Mallory Bash's "Dreaming Tree Saga" is an Easter egg. The grave that Cyrus is digging when Mallory meets him is an egg. The song he's singing, too. Hell, the character of Cyrus is an egg. The street names of Moonblush Village--quite a few are eggs. The fact that Cyrus calls Mallory "voshaarnooi" and serves her rooibos tea are eggs. The fact that Cyrus is a gravedigger is an egg. The scene where Mal and Isaac are flying over Moonblush with Opal--those people on the streets are eggs, as well as the posters on the bulletin behind them. In the first season, Saki references song lyrics as an egg. "Dora Park" next to The Pretzel Bender and Das Burger is an egg. The Professor and Geoffrey are cameos by an actual musical artist and his in-universe companion.

Literally every chance I get, I'm dropping in an Easter egg.

Are they all Dave Matthews Band references? I'm not a big DMB fan, but I picked up on a few references in your comic from what I do know about them.

As for my comic, I have what I consider to be a hidden joke in the scene where the guys see the girls' band, The Three Vowels, perform for the first time. I'm kind of hoping someone will catch it without my prompting, but so far, I have yet to hear from anyone who has. I like to imagine someone out there having the joke suddenly dawn on them and laughing with appreciation.
4 days ago, 9:16 AM #12
Ariane Eldar

Registration date: 11 days ago
-
4 days ago, 9:20 AM #13
Stilldown

Registration date: 19th Nov 2016
I have too many eastereggs in my comics to list them. There are usaslly several ones on each page, often several ones in one panel. I also prefer to have them multicoded, for example having a reference "Dr. Livingston, I presume" (historic reference/ dictums) mixed up with a quote of "Dr. Jimmy" (music reference).
4 days ago, 9:38 AM #14
Valigarmander

Registration date: 20th Nov 2019
I do it all the time, especially when I'm trying to come up with stuff to populate the background of a panel so it doesn't look empty. Having a framed portrait of someone (like a friend of mine, or a character from a comic I read) hanging on the wall is a favorite of mine. Other times it might be the name of a building, or the title of a book, or the brand name of some household item.

They make nice bonus gags for folks who happen to notice them.
4 days ago, 3:14 PM #15
mitchellbravo

Registration date: 13 days ago
This is small, and no one's noticed (to be fair why would they), but somewhere along the way I started making everyone's ear fold shape based on the letter their name starts with. Even background characters who are only going to appear once, I still stick a letter in their ear and give them a name just for my own reference

Danny McLimmon:

As for my comic, I have what I consider to be a hidden joke in the scene where the guys see the girls' band, The Three Vowels, perform for the first time. I'm kind of hoping someone will catch it without my prompting, but so far, I have yet to hear from anyone who has. I like to imagine someone out there having the joke suddenly dawn on them and laughing with appreciation.

Well now I had to go back and look. I think I figured it out :P I don't want to give it away-
4 days ago, 4:09 PM #16
Microraptor
the only safe place is the top shelf
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
Oh, my comic is littered with easter eggs!
Most of the time, I point them out in the author's notes, but not always.
One of my favourites was showing an island based on the real life Santorini in the same panel as the character named Santorini.
Or from the same chapter, the gag about the Harryhausen rays...
4 days ago, 4:18 PM #17
MisterParadigm

Registration date: 30th May 2012
Danny McLimmon:Are they all Dave Matthews Band references? I'm not a big DMB fan, but I picked up on a few references in your comic from what I do know about them.

A good portion of them are, yes, but primarily that's because the Dreaming Tree Saga was inspired by the tone of the song, and from there I wanted to pay homage to the band I'd grown up with in many ways. But that inspiration isn't driving the story, only the tone and those eggs. I actually just posted an Intermission episode that is an article that has a section discussing influences on all that and the narrative itself, which comes from various philosophers and a few psycho-analysts.

4 days ago, 4:27 PM #18
TanteiSakana
Registration date: 29th Dec 2009
One of my old comics has Kyo's old avatar make a cameo :p

3 days ago, 2:52 AM #19
Danny McLimmon

Registration date: 3rd Jan 2016
mitchellbravo:Well now I had to go back and look. I think I figured it out :P I don't want to give it away-

It sounds like you're on the right track :)
2 days ago, 7:49 PM #20
Amazing Chris Godbey
formerly DrFurball
Registration date: 16th Jan 2015
Location: Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
I made a list of these a while back in a similar thread.

And I'll add that with two more from Chapter Six:

Panel:

Easter Egg:

Panel:

Easter Egg: