Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Server Migration Complete!

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > News & Announcements > Server Migration Complete!
Pages: [1] [2]

"Server Migration Complete!", Two weeks ago, 11:40 PM #1
Kyo
?
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
Hi!

As promised, we've now been moved to a private server all to ourselves! Looks like everything went smoothly and the site is running as it should.

Note that our server IP changed, as a result of that, you won't be able to (or have been able to, probably, if you're reading this) visit the site, or any sites hosted here until the DNS data updates on your end. This can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Often what happens is that your browser or your router still remembers the old IP, so you might have to restart your router, your browser or even your PC.

If you know someone who cannot access the site yet, recommend them to try everythingfury.com as well - since they probably haven't visited that recently, there won't be any remembered data for it, so it may update a little faster. At least that's what happened for me.

Custom domain Info:If you have a custom domain, and you did NOT set your name servers to the following:

ns1.dreamhost.com
ns2.dreamhost.com
ns3.dreamhost.com

and didn't use a CNAME to comicfury.com to set up your domain, but used an A record (or an A record and an AAAA record), you will have to update your domain data!

Note that this affects almost no one, most people will have done either of the two things I listed above instead. Right now your domain might be down because the DNS data did not update yet, this is not what I'm talking about here.

With that out of the way, you'd have to update your A record from 64.111.103.233 to 208.113.204.103 and your AAAA record to 2607:f298:5:100a::100:7e41

Thanks for being patient over the last few days everyone, especially our newer users who were only just arriving here!

e:
Update:I've noticed that the old VPS has become accessible again if your DNS data did not propagate yet. Due to the way things are set up, it's connecting to the database on the new server, so if you make a forum post etc. from there, it'd be fine. However, any files you upload would be lost. I've now replaced the management page on the old server with an error message informing you of this. If you uploaded something in the last few minutes (after the server migration), and you computer is still remembering the old IP, it might be lost, sorry.

e2:
Second update:The database was apparently not transferred successfully during the server migration. It's being transferred now, to avoid loss of data, I've put the site in read only mode! Sorry! Should not take too long if I haven't been lied to

e3:
Well I just spoke to another customer service rep who basically told me everything the last guy said was wrong, the mysql database server migration hadn't started yet, and there's no need to shut down submitting data to the site, as it won't get lost. I'm starting to lose faith in there even being such a thing as an objective truth.

Anyway, so according to this new guy, who said he understood the situation better than the last guy who apparently misunderstood it and then just told me a buncha wrong stuff (you know, just the kind of thing you would want to happen during a server migration), there's no need to shut down submitting data to the site while this process is on the way, and it won't take minutes but hours.

So I've disabled read-only mode. I would say, if you can at all, hold off until tomorrow before transfering over large amounts of your archive right now, just in case. I'm sure you're all about as sick of being jerked around as I am at this point.

e4:
The MySQL database has been transferred! Unfortunately somehow dreamhosts database transfer tool seems to not like utf-8 (what?) and all emoji and probably a lot of other non-roman characters on the site are broken!

Worry not, obviously I'm not dumb enough to rely on dreamhost to not fuck it up at this point, so I have a backup from today with the correct encoding of everything. Things can definitely be restored to how they were, it can also be restored without taking the site offline again. Hopefully this is just a matter of tweaking a setting, but worst case scenario, I'd write a tool that would manually re-transfer everything from a backup one at a time without having to take the site down again

I've written dreamhost about it, I'll wait what they have to say.
13 days ago, 12:04 AM #2
Stilldown

Registration date: 19th Nov 2016
With some shock I see that all pages I've uploaded today (more then 200!) seem suddenly to have dissapeared and they were visible the last time I checked (a few hours ago). Any chance that something has gone wrong?
13 days ago, 12:07 AM #3
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Wonderful!
13 days ago, 12:07 AM #4
Kyo
?
Stilldown:With some shock I see that all pages I've uploaded today (more then 200!) seem suddenly to have dissapeared and they were visible the last time I checked (a few hours ago). Any chance that something has gone wrong?

When you say disappeared, what exactly do you mean? Can you still see the pages in your webcomic management? are the images missing?
13 days ago, 12:09 AM #5
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
You really deserve an appreciation medal man.
13 days ago, 12:13 AM #6
Stilldown

I find they are all still visible in the comic management(edit/delete comics). Checking again, I see they are now at least visible to nr. 260 (XIV.47), but they should be visible until nr. 273 XV.13. They had been visible when I checked after uploading them all.
13 days ago, 12:16 AM #7
Kyo
?
Stilldown:With some shock I see that all pages I've uploaded today (more then 200!) seem suddenly to have dissapeared and they were visible the last time I checked (a few hours ago). Any chance that something has gone wrong?

okay I looked at your site, and saw the archive was not showing all pages. It looks like the problem was thankfully just cached old data. I've cleared the cache for the whole site now, so if you still run into issues please let me know
13 days ago, 12:17 AM #8
Stilldown

Ah, thank you, they just got visible now again.
13 days ago, 12:53 AM #9
Kyo
?
Update: I've noticed that the old VPS has become accessible again if your DNS data did not propagate yet. Due to the way things are set up, it's connecting to the database on the new server, so if you make a forum post etc. from there, it'd be fine. However, any files you upload would be lost. I've now replaced the management page on the old server with an error message informing you of this. If you uploaded something in the last few minutes (after the server migration), and you computer is still remembering the old IP, it might be lost, sorry.
13 days ago, 12:58 AM #10
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
My domain name still directs to CF. Glad it still works!
13 days ago, 1:12 AM #11
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
It is all working for me too.
13 days ago, 1:12 AM #12
Morgenstern
Fun-sized
Registration date: 17th Jun 2010
on mda.wtf, I see my newest comic, but on mda.thecomicseries.com all I see is the comic title but smaller. People on discord are confirming broken images. I've tried editing/re-uploading the image, no avail
13 days ago, 1:14 AM #13
Kyo
?
They both look identical to me, but what's probably happening is that one has propagated for you and the other one hasn't. I posted an update about this, it looks like the old VPS went back online (for some reason), with it's own copy of all the CF files. Any new files you upload won't be visible on that one. This should almost definitely resolve itself if you wait/restart your browser/the usual stuff
13 days ago, 1:32 AM #14
Snarkclaw

Registration date: 9th Oct 2014
Yay for the completion of the server migration! :-)

Unfortunately, my custom domain sites are experiencing issues.

www.deerme.net is redirecting to http://deerme.nethttp//deerme.net/

www.sharpclaw.com is redirecting to http://sharpclaw.comhttp//sharpclaw.com/

So, that's a bit weird. On my end, both domains have CNAME records to comicfury.com, and that hasn't been changed.
13 days ago, 1:40 AM #15
Kyo
?
strange, looks like the non-www versions work fine. I'm not immediately sure why this is happening, it seems to be related to the fact that you're using CNAMEs somehow, since it only affects your domains. I'll try and figure out what's happening.

Another thing I'm facing is that it looks like the mysql server also hasn't been transferred over, I'm getting that looked at right now as well.
13 days ago, 2:17 AM
Kyo
?
You're gonna love hearing this, but it looks like there's about to be another short downtime while dreamhost migrate the MySQL server. Sorry folks, I'm as sick of it as you are by now. Anyway, I've been told it should not take very long (just a few minutes) - and no DNS schenanigans this time.

mod intervention banner to prevent double post merging, although there will also be a message explaining during the downtime (which will start soon)
13 days ago, 3:31 AM #17
Kyo
?
Well I just spoke to another customer service rep who basically told me everything the last guy said was wrong, the mysql database server migration hadn't started yet, and there's no need to shut down submitting data to the site, as it won't get lost. I'm starting to lose faith in there even being such a thing as an objective truth.

Anyway, so according to this new guy, who said he understood the situation better than the last guy who apparently misunderstood it and then just told me a buncha wrong stuff (you know, just the kind of thing you would want to happen during a server migration), there's no need to shut down submitting data to the site while this process is on the way, and it won't take minutes but hours.

So I've disabled read-only mode. I would say, if you can at all, hold off until tomorrow before transfering over large amounts of your archive right now, just in case. I'm sure you're all about as sick of being jerked around as I am at this point.
13 days ago, 3:56 AM #18
fedoramoron
black market meme hookup
Registration date: 27th Mar 2015
you are a god, thank you for dealing with all this
13 days ago, 4:03 AM #19
Kyo
?
Snarkclaw:Yay for the completion of the server migration! :-)

Unfortunately, my custom domain sites are experiencing issues.

www.deerme.net is redirecting to http://deerme.nethttp//deerme.net/

www.sharpclaw.com is redirecting to http://sharpclaw.comhttp//sharpclaw.com/

So, that's a bit weird. On my end, both domains have CNAME records to comicfury.com, and that hasn't been changed.

I figured out the problem, will be fixed shortly. Thanks for reporting this (by the way, it wasn't related to the CNAME thing after all, it was just a setting for redirecting to www. in the dreamhost control panel being enabled during the server move for comicfury.com somehow - which broke all domains that mirrored it in the panel when used with a www. at the start. It's a bit hard to explain but basically it was just a slight misconfiguration)

You might have to restart your browser for this to take, but it should work now
13 days ago, 6:28 AM #20
authorloremipsum

Registration date: 11th Sep 2018
ComicFury seems to be up and running just fine on my end! No bugs encountered yet :D

Well DONE Kyo!!!
Forum > News & Announcements > Server Migration Complete!
Pages: [1] [2]