You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > News & Announcements > Downtime 19th of November 2019
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]

"Downtime 19th of November 2019", 19th Nov 2019, 8:53 PM #1
Kyo
?
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
Hey folks,

did you notice the site was down? Or at least, sort of halfway down, with the webcomics still mostly working?

So technically the site is still down right now, at least the comicfury.com part, as of me writing this, the webcomics are doing fine and dandy. I figured I might as well write what happened now, for those people lucky enough to get in contact with someone who told them that the site is still accessible via everythingfury.com (tell your friends)

What happened is that dreamhost told me the site was causing a high load, they disabled it, and they're not gonna reenable it, unless I upgrade to a private server. So gun to my head, naturally that's what I agreed to do. But now the site is also still offline because all the data has to be moved to the aforementioned server, and they were not willing to unblock the site in the interim (which honestly is just super sloppy, you exchange money and hostages at the same time, come on, be professional) - It could be six more hours from when this post was written, apparently.

Anyway, anything that isn't specifically on the comicfury.com domain still works fine, because they disabled the site in kind of a wonky way. It's gonna be a few more hours, but it's being worked on. Sorry for any troubles caused and thanks for your patience!

The plan was already to move away from dreamhost, needless to say that continues to be the plan now, but that's something I can only really do when I've got a lot of time to make sure it all goes smoothly

Oh and one more thing that I'll also announce seperately once the downtime is over - if you have a custom domain, and you're NOT using the dreamhost nameservers (which almost all of you are), but instead the CF server IP, you will have to update your A record and AAAA record on your domain to the new server IP. Until you do this, your site will not work anymore. I asked them if there's any way to avoid that, and unfortunately the answer is no, but this will also only affect very few people, who were also using their webcomic domain for other stuff and didn't want to configure the name servers over (and also didn't use a cname to comicfury.com)

more on this in an upcoming thread, but like I said, this affects maybe 1% of people who have a custom domain

e:
Kyo on page 2:Update!

I was able to talk them into reenabling the site while stuff's transferring. If comicfury.com still doesn't work for you, try restarting your browser or hitting CTRL + F5. We are still on the VPS for now, so if things go south again, we may be disabled for a few more hours, just a heads up. And obviously once the switch from VPS to private server happens, there may be some slight downtime as well.

e2:
Kyo on page 3:Another relatively uneventful update: We're still on the VPS. Load appears to be good and all, but it's a little weird the move still hasn't completed. I sent in a ticket asking for a status update, but I'm mostly just writing this post in case further load issues crop up today, so people know what's up. So far it's all looking good though
19th Nov 2019, 9:03 PM #2
Text
And who could forget dear future knight
Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
oh that answers my other question, damn
19th Nov 2019, 9:25 PM #3
Lutzbug
loved birds way before they were the word
Registration date: 2nd Oct 2017
Yeah I’m having trouble with the website custom domain name. The dot com one doesn’t work, but the .webcomic.ws works fine and dandy. I’ll likely need help with the AAAA thing once the main site is running smoothly.
19th Nov 2019, 9:28 PM #4
Kyo
?
if your site is down right now, that could also just mean it's mirroring comicfury.com instead of everythingfury.com in my account panel on dreamhost. Those two options are usually completely equivalent, but now that they've disabled comicfury.com, any domain that's mirroring it will also fail to work, until the site is back. That's a problem that will resolve itself.

so if when setting up the domain, I told you to change your name servers to the following:

ns1.dreamhost.com
ns2.dreamhost.com
ns3.dreamhost.com

and you did, you won't have to do anything, it'll start working again on its own in a few hours. I can also swap you over real quick if you want
19th Nov 2019, 9:35 PM #5
Lutzbug
Ok. The name servers are the same as you said. It still isn’t working, but I’ll wait until the site is back up and running.

How would you switch me over?
19th Nov 2019, 9:44 PM #6
Kyo
?
it's basically just a matter of changing the settings for the domain in the dreamhost panel thingy. I'll do it real quick, it's not a problem.
19th Nov 2019, 9:53 PM #7
Lutzbug
Thank you. Anything I need to do?
19th Nov 2019, 9:54 PM #8
Kyo
?
nope, but it may take a little to take effect.
19th Nov 2019, 9:55 PM #9
Lutzbug
Thank you.
19th Nov 2019, 10:12 PM #10
Jeremy7
What a sucker
Registration date: 7th Mar 2018
Right on the ass-end of my COPPA fears.
19th Nov 2019, 11:09 PM #11
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Registration date: 24th Mar 2014
Kyo, this is out of control and not good for CF’s credibility as an alternative to the walled gardens.

What is the ETA to leaving Dream Host?

Do you need assistance to make that happen faster?
19th Nov 2019, 11:24 PM #12
Lutzbug
Yeah, to be honest, all the downtime isn’t a good look. People have been complaining quite a bit.

MissElaney really wants to point you towards gandi.net.
19th Nov 2019, 11:25 PM #13
Kyo
?
the ETA is as soon as absolutely possible, trust me I want this just as much as you. I'm terrible at making estimates, but I can tell you this much: Luckily I've got some free time ahead so I don't foresee any problems in that regard. In any case, once we get the private server I expect things to be more reliable in the interim anyway (it's a lot more capable than what we have now, and we're not sharing anybody else's load). One nice side effect of this is also that I'm pretty sure I'll be able to enable https on webcomics, that was a limitation with the dreamhost VPS' and wildcard DNS.

e: I think snarkclaw recommended gandi.net before, It's one of the options I'm looking at.
19th Nov 2019, 11:36 PM #14
Leafa
noticed ?
Registration date: 22nd Sep 2009
It's a real shame this happened just as people were looking for an alternative to Smackjeeves, but I guess that can't be helped.

Thanks so much for your work to maintain this community, Kyo - it's such a brilliant asset to the world of webcomics. Recent events have definitely highlighted how special it is. I hope things will settle down soon and that this isn't causing you too much stress!
19th Nov 2019, 11:50 PM #15
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
=Kyo
Oh and one more thing that I'll also announce seperately once the downtime is over - if you have a custom domain, and you're NOT using the dreamhost nameservers (which almost all of you are), but instead the CF server IP, you will have to update your A record and AAAA record on your domain to the new server IP. Until you do this, your site will not work anymore. I asked them if there's any way to avoid that, and unfortunately the answer is no, but this will also only affect very few people, who were also using their webcomic domain for other stuff and didn't want to configure the name servers over (and also didn't use a cname to comicfury.com)

Well then, today was an excellent time to be the computer illiterate heathen I am.

Sorry about the domain issues my man, thanks for going through all this trouble.
20th Nov 2019, 12:01 AM #16
Lutzbug
My previous reply was a bit rude. Thank you for doing everything you do for this site. It’s hard to keep something like this afloat, especially when the SJ disaster sends a huge influx of people on here. I really do appreciate it, you work so hard.
20th Nov 2019, 12:04 AM #17
Kyo
?
it's all good, I mean at the end of the day, the site's down, and I'm the guy you gotta shout at to get it fixed. My guy at dreamhost, his name was chris. We bonded over 4 very frustrating hours, and to be honest, chris really kinda fucked me, but I can't stay mad at him. It probably wasn't chris personally that did it, not my chris
20th Nov 2019, 12:39 AM #18
Lutzbug
By the way, my .com domain is up and running again. Thanks.
20th Nov 2019, 12:46 AM #19
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
Thanks for the update! That’s terrible coercion from DH, appreciate the free work despite the unexpectedness of it all.
20th Nov 2019, 2:37 AM #20
authorloremipsum

Registration date: 11th Sep 2018
Kyo thank you for working so so hard to get this fixed for us users.
I nearly had a heart attack when I couldn't get to CF, but the relief of seeing my comic still working and present was immense.
If there's anything we can do to help, I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say, let us know.
Good luck and keep up the stellar work!
Forum > News & Announcements > Downtime 19th of November 2019
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]